ZAPLAB (ZAPLAB's Another Poker/Life/Anything Blog)

Saturday, April 22, 2006

The greatest WTF I've ever seen....

What a Friday. Absoluteley nuts. I go to work stoked about a project I'm working on (mostly for free since I've been denied time on it from the upper managers). Work through the morning designing and planning with my minion Phil exactly how this sweet piece of software will come to fruition. It's great to be back in Python land. Yay Python!!! This project has been rather jacked, with an original plan of 1 month and $10K to get it done, which turned into 2 weeks and $10K the next day, followed by $37K but a week to get it done the next. Wow.

Go to lunch at Shipfeifer (gyros and chicken wings...mmmmm) and have a blast. When I get back to the office, I found an IM stating that the other lab that was gonna help us has dropped out completely. Crap on a stick. That leaves me at 1 day a week, Phil full time and another engineer Micah at 25-100% for a week. That's it. Bad times. We redesign in the afternoon to adjust for the new hell we have entered. I think we can get it done. We'll see.

On the way home, I pick up my dog Aiko at my parents. We leave at 5, heading home so Matt and I can hit the gym before poker. On the way, I'm preparing to make a right hand turn, another guy (call him A) is making a left hand turn onto the streetI'm turning onto. One more guy (B) is turning right off the street. A makes his turn and sideswipes B. In his massive overcorrection, he turns right 90 degrees, hops the curb, whips around and heads down the ravine on the grounds of a church. He ends up passenger side down in a creek bed. I park and head over to help. B is on the phone with the police and I and 2 other guys head down to help the guys in the car.

A and his mom are in there, and say their fine. A is a "student dirver" (easily my age) and has just hit someone on his first time on the road. We get him out through the window, but his mom wasn't gonna fit. One of the other guys gets in the car and adjust things so she can get out the back door. She seemingly can't comprehend how to do this exactly, but we finally get her out after informing her that the car has bottomed out on rocks before semi flipping, and she needs to get out in case the gas line has somehow ruptured. Police and EMTs arrive, I head home.

When poker hits, I have a different kind of experience than usual. Our game is very much a drink and have fun game, and turns all in pretty fast (Mark, Kuro...the $10 buy-in is on the horizon, 5 min 10 max has been agreed to). I usually join the revalry early on. Tonight however, I am waiting on Brandie to get off work late and want to be sentient when she gets there. Untrue to form, I had a single beer before midnight. That lead to something I had forgotten about at our game, smarter poker.

I tried to run a bluff with 10/7 d but made the mistake of doing it against Bibb. Anyone who knows the game knows he rivers WAY more things than I do (and I'm known as 'suckout'). Bad move. He calls my all in after a bit of thought and takes it down. On the next hand I get the red 9's one off the button in a straddled pot (whoo! 40 whole cents). After 3 calls, Hal on my right makes it a dollar, and I push. All fold to Bibb, who tanks again, then finally calls. All others fold and he flips 8's. I hold and take the pot. All my previous chips are back belong to me. From there, I stayed steady for a while, picking up pots on trip jacks, 2nd pair and 4 flush on the flop that flushed out, and a few others (for a while every hand was straddled, making the pots a bit sweeter).

Finally, I pick up A's UTG in a straddled pot. I knew Ron had been raising unraised pots all night, so I just called. True to form, he makes it $3 to go. Fold around to Hal who pushes (something like 10 bucks). I'm sitting with 2 green chips ($5) and a mountain of red/blue/white ($1/$.25/$.10) and push myself. Ron calls and flips K/10 off. Hal flips Q's. Oh joy of joys. The rest is history. By the end of the night (which was only like 11 due to Don and I crippling the tables funds), I had made $45 in addition to my 2 buy-ins back. Good night overall.

As a final thought, I watcched the speed poker championship on TV the other day. Fox Sports...please don't show it again. I watch every bit of poker on TV (I watch a lot of TV usually) and have never until now seen one I would not watch again. 15 seconds to act on every play is, in my opinion, crap. Stop it, please. Keep the soccer channel though.

1 Comments:

  • Nice limp raise with AA. That move drives me crazy because it's a disaster if no one raises behind you, but if you've got a good read, it's money.
    Insert links, man.

    By Blogger Gnome, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home