ZAPLAB (ZAPLAB's Another Poker/Life/Anything Blog)

Saturday, April 08, 2006

First post!!! Whoo!!!

Oh wait, this isn't Slashdot...I always get first post here. Still, first post!

Recovery...the first step back to life after a "home game". It's quoted because not too many cards were played. Plenty of people, but slow going. Plenty of alcohol though. Plenty doen't seem to do the alcohol justice.

The purpose of the night was a cookout, poker, and fill my liquor cabinet, and fill it they did. Kuro brought pisco and Irish Whiskey (and chicken wings, score!). Sham brought Crown (and ribs, double score!). Through the rest of the crew we now have stocked: Absenthe, some home brewed apple thing (that's good, but scarrily looks of moonshine, complete with non-labeled bottle), 3 bottles of rum, Gin, Hennesy, and Scotch. Added to my (horde of) tequila, SoCo, Arak, brandy, amaretto, wines, and Vodka (that must be separated from the rest in the freezer) the final table is strong...less strong than before the drinking began, but still strong.

Another highlight, my brother and his wife came. I've been trying to get them over for one of our nights for a while. I hope they had fun even though they got pelted with fan dist and R\ebecca had a drink spilled on her (or so I was told, I was doing many things).

Anyway, I now have a blog huh? I never thought I would, but the right motivation came my way. I've been reading Kuro's, Mark's, and Sham's for a while, and they're great. I just never thought I would. Just another thing that takes free time, and I have next to none now. Oh well, let's see what happens. I call.

Since I'm in the state of recovery, words working not so good now right...I'll have the Tunica trip report up next (I was to start this thing last weekend, but failed in the endeavor). Also, just so you know, I love parentheses and ellipses. You will see a lot of them here. Ellipses are an absolutely perfect segue to anything...and parentheses...well...they parenth things really good (take that English!).

As for the name, I'm a geek. I love to write code and work with computers. I find physics, programming, and math jokes funny (and shirts with similar tones...Obey Gravity, It's the Law...hi-frikkin-larious). The name is pronounceable (a requirement) and RECURSIVE!!! In programming, a recursive function/method is one that calls itself. I like to think of it as being in one of those rooms with mirrors on opposing walls that allow you to see many reflections of the same thing over and over (the recursion stack). Here, the first letter stands for the acronym itself. GNU (free software foundation world) stands for GNU's Not Unix. Simple and beautiful, elegant even. Empire put it best last night..."Recursive acronyms are what happens when only the geeks, not the marketing department, are invited to the naming party. It's what they do". Elegant even...till next time.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home