ZAPLAB (ZAPLAB's Another Poker/Life/Anything Blog)

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tunica trip report day 1 - 03/31/06

Card death...a horrible, horrible fate. One I always seem to find without fail when I go on poker trips. Not good times. 4 hours of 9/3 off or J6 off, with an single K/10 suited and an A/J and a few things worth seeing flops, but that fizzled. Again, not good times. This all transpired at the Gold Strike on Tunica Mark II day 1 (hours 0-4 if you're interested).

$216 down, sure, not too much, especially if you play higher limits (which I don't). but not a great start to the trip. Kuro suggested we go to Sham's Town so he could get a chip and take a picture...not my favorite place (though the only place I have ever played at where smoking is allowed at the table, which is not necessarily a good thing). Sure, why not? A fresh location was just what I wanted...if not what I really needed.

After using the restroom at the 'Shoe (which, as Sham found rather funny, had no paper towels...in 4 dispensers, which I found very, well, wet), We agreed and headed to Sham's Town. Walking in, memories of Tunica Mark I flooded in. Oh, there's the great players card line! Hey, the escolators! Hey the poker room...wait, something's different...it's...bigger. Cool. Hold up...it's no longer smoking. Huh.

So I proceeded to sit in my first 4/8 game. Hesitent? Na. Slightly larger than the 3/6 I was playing...maybe people will respect raises a bit more. Maybe I won't be rivered (in terribly small pots mind you) 8 times in 4 hours (said card dead, didn't say I didn't do some things). Maybe I can crawl out of the hole I got into (shallow though it was, I realize).

Cards were definitly better. Pocket Q's, which was great except for the guy to my left having A's. Crap. Got really lucky with a K/Q d big blind (me) vs. the button I think. Flop came 10xx (1 diamond, check check), then J, check, bet, raise, call, followed by a Q (the way this guy was playing, to me at least, made it quite obvious he had a J, and the OESD along with 2 higher cards for out made me try a move...right/wrong?). He had a J and lost. He was not amused and kept saying something about "time will tell, time will tell". Whatever

Got Q's again. I raised, still 4 in the pot at the flop (Kuro and Sham included, as well as this...as Kuro who played with him in the past says...lunatic). I won the hand, but Kuro correctly points out a way I could have cut their odds to draw. He hung around due to the pot odds. In hindsight, I agree. Anyway, we played for an hour, and I cashed out plus $50. Back to the Strike (and 3/6).

Gang rape. Not a term I'm terribly fond of, unless I'm involved, and the rape ocurrs at a poker table (and doesn't involve physical rape, just taking someone down). First hand in, I get pocket K's in the cutoff (best all day!). Call, call, raise, fold, fold, call, reraise, fold, call, call, call, call, call. Sweet. Flop comes 4Q4. Bet, call, fold, fold, fold, fold, raise, call, fold. Heads up. Turn, King. Excellent. He bets, I raise, he calls. River, offsuit 2. He bets, I raise, he calls...with a pair of 9's. Ok.

Had I been catching, I coulda joined in on the rest. This guy got manhandled hard core. He had new chips everytime I looked up. Don't know where his $$ came from (not the table), but it didn't matter. He got reamed. Certainly made me feel better. This other guy on my right kept busting and then buying stacks off me (which was fine because I needed sleep, and was leavng soon anyway). The last orbit I was to play turned expenive, and only got out +$19. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day...

3 Comments:

  • Nice post. On the hand where you check-raised the turn with your overcards and OESD, it doesn't seem like a very good move if you put your opponent on a pair of Jacks.
    If he has a pair of Jacks, there's no way he's going to fold.
    If that's the case, you're putting in more money when you're at a ~4:1 disadvantage.
    You need additional folding equity to make this move worthwhile.

    By Blogger Gnome, at 6:36 PM  

  • Very nice post!

    By Blogger kurokitty, at 9:17 PM  

  • Thanks Mark, exactly the info types I need.

    By Blogger thecaffiend, at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home